Gabled Modern - 2nd floor Addition
Rockland County, New York
Location: Nyack, NY
Status: Awaiting municipal approvals
Size: 1,300 sq. ft. addition + 1,250 sq. ft. renovation = 2,550 sq. ft. TOTAL
Second floor addition for growing family
These homeowners recently purchased this home for the land and it's location adjacent to a nature preserve. It's a modest home, too small for their current family, but on a great, generously sized lot next to acres of woodlands. The homeowners really enjoy a lifestyle immersed in nature, and wanted as much opportunity as possible to create a home which invites the outside in.
The homeowners have a desire to use natural and sustainable materials, and are drawn to homes with cedar board and batten siding and other rustic materials.
Being mindful of the homeowner's desire to make as little impact on the land as possible, a decision was made early on to expand up rather than out. Additionally, we decided that one of the additional main objectives of the project would be to reorient the front of the house to the existing street, rather than towards a "paper street" that was conceived, but never constructed when the house was originally constructed.
Design features of the new home will include:
- New front entry, foyer and mudroom to organize the growing family's daily life
- Open concept kitchen / living / dining room on the first floor, with large, picture windows overlooking the backyard and natural surroundings beyond
- Separate office / play room on the first floor
- Master bedroom suite on the second floor with large picture windows overlooking the natural setting
- Two additional second floor bedrooms
- Walk-up attic
Want to stay updated as this project moves into construction? Follow it's progress on our Facebook page!